Instead of going out to eat and loading up on calories, skip the bread basket and make this quick creamy chicken dish at home! To control your calorie intake, limit the sauce spoonfuls and pasta intake.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomato basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup diced red onions (or shallots)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley or basil
- Using a mallet, pound down the chicken breasts/thighs into 1 inch thickness. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup or a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, pesto, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine until the pesto is more or less dissolved.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and allow to brown on both sides of 4-6 minutes per side. Remove from heat and place in oven for 20 minutes
- Reduce the flame to medium, add the onions to the skillet and allow the onions to cook for 1 minute before adding in the chicken broth mixture. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan so all the brown bits are loosened. Let sauce reduce for about 8-10 minutes or until until about ⅓ of the sauce remains.
- When the sauce has thickened, remove from the flame, add the butter and whisk until it melts completely. With the skillet off the flame, add the heavy cream, whisk to combine.
- Place the skillet back of over the flame for just 30 seconds. DO NOT allow the sauce to boil. Remove from heat, add the chicken back into the pan and drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Add the capers.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Top with chopped parsley or basil and serve warm.
Recipe from: http://littlespicejar.com/one-skillet-chicken-with-tomato-basil-cream-sauce/