This soup is packed with nutrients from the veggies and protein, antioxidants and fiber from the cannellini beans. This also uses the same chopped up veggie base as the sloppy joe recipe.
Pasta Fagioli Soup
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (15 oz) cannellini beans (or white kidney beans)
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo (you can use any pasta, I used elbow macaroni)
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock (I use low sodium)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBS chopped fresh parsley (garnish, optional)
- Parmesan cheese, grated (garnish, optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or a large soup pot over medium – high heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in the basil and oregano. Add the bouillon cube (I just used extra chicken stock) and stir well. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, making sure orzo is cooked.
**I didn’t use orzo but instead cooked the elbow pasta separately and added at the end.
**Adapted from the 30 minute, one pot meal cookbook.