This I made on a whim, not expecting it to have a ton of flavor but I was pleasntly surprised and loved this recipe! This will defintley be one of my go to recipes when I need a quick meal!
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadilla
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 TBS lime juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- leftover tortillas (I used refridgerated white corn, but any will work!)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1/3 cups baby spinach (optional, I didnt use these)
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup tomato salsa, corn salsa, guacamole or chopped tomatoes
Microwave sweet potatoes for 2-4 minutes (prick with a fork first) then bake in the oven until soft at 400 for 15-25 minutes.
In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender. Stir in black beans, lime juice, oregano and cumin. Heat through, set aside.
Don’t warm tortillas before; place them on a plate and add the mashed sweet potatoes, black beans, cheese and any other desired ingredients.
Two options for adding the fillings:
- Add the ingredients to one half of the tortilla and then fold OR
- Add the ingredients to the entire shell, place another on top
Add tortillas to the skillet and cook on low heat for four minutes, flip and cook another 2-4 minutes until the cheese is melted and tortilla is soft and cooked.
Cut the tortillas in half and or in fourths, serve with salsa, guacamole, avacado and any other toppings.
**Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens weeknight Mexican